Sunday, October 7, 2007

Update on Survey and Data Collection, Revision of Two Questions

George Hayhoe of Mercer University was kind enough to give me additional feedback on the survey. He noted that two of my questions were problematic. One question asked about digital composing in such a way that there was ambiguity about whether I meant web composing in general, or web composing only on social network sites. So I made a small revision to that question for clarity. At the time of the revision, 90% of individuals who attempted the survey had finished it. And I only had like N=20. So I don't think that ambiguity impacted my results thus far in a big way. The other problem question was the one that followed asking whether the participant had ever been asked to take something down. The question said if yes. . . . and then gave an additional question. It did offer "can't answer" but should have also stated "NA" because if you answered no to whether you'd been asked to take something down, "NA" would be a better answer than "can't answer." So I also I changed the one answer choice from "can't answer" to "can't answer/NA." Hopefully this will provide additional clarity to the questions.

I also just finished sending out a recruitment email to 92 students at RPI. Their contact information is available on the web. So N at this point is about 100 program directors, and 92 students. As far as keeping track of response rate, N = 192 at this moment in time.

No comments: