Thursday, October 4, 2007

Men's Bible Study in the Coffee Shop and Polanyi's Personal Knowledge

Here I am making a note that if there is this thing called Personal Knowledge, you might not be able to differentiate that from God. When I was getting my coffee today at the coffee shop, at 6:55 am (getting coffee because the coffee I made at home was awful due to the fact that I opened a new back of Starbucks' unground coffee beans, finally noticing that the words "decaf" appeared very faintly on the packaging label [not interested in decaf]), a group of 15 men were doing bible study; they had their bibles open, scattered here and there among their other artifacts of externalized cognition, and they were talking about things in the bible. OK. One was saying: "we know how all knowing god is, so where in our lives should we rely on God"? I quickly put the lid on my coffee and scurried out. Yes, scurried.

So if they are turning it over to God, that's kind of like relying on your Personal Knowledge, except that if it's God, then you give God agency. Otherwise, the Personal Knowledge keeps the agency, like Lacan's unconscious.

No comments: