Thursday, November 6, 2008

544 term paper websites . . .

In the order I have linked below -- summarized by Justia as follows:
"ORDER granting Motion for Default Judgment in favor of defts. STUDENT NETWORK RESOURCES, INC., STUDENT NETWORK RESOURCES, LLC., AND ROSS COHEN against pltf. AXACT (PVT), LTD., in the amount of $353,373.00 and attorney fees and cost in the amount of $36,720.40; and that this case is closed." (The damages actually exceed $600,000.00.)

In the order, the court lists 544 (!!!) websites where term papers can be purchased and downloaded. (My intent is not to "facilitate access" to these websites--that's prohibited in the Court's Order -- my intent is to offer public expression on a matter of public concern to those of us teaching and interested in digital writing, regarding the fact that there could even be that many websites available to purchase term papers--this fact boggles my mind).

The order can be accessed here: http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-jersey/njdce/3:2007cv05491/208337/32/

I also have embedded a copy of the order in my most recent last blog post.

A docket of all the pleadings, including the original complaint is here:

http://news.justia.com/cases/featured/new-jersey/njdce/3:2007cv05491/208337/


This order is based on a default judgment, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't eventually challenged -- but those ole' default judgments -- this is why, I tell my students, due dates matter. You miss a due date in court proceedings and, well, if you're the attorney you better make sure your malpractice insurance is paid up.

The case is complicated - on 12-12-08 the pleadings now amount to about 37 documents or statements, including a recent order for google, inc. to remove the student term paper websites from its search engine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Martine, is the link missing, or did I just overlook it? (Not that I need a list of 544 websites where I can buy papers...)

I'm curious to hear what the suit was actually about.

martine courant rife said...

thanks michael, i added a link within the post above.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-jersey/njdce/3:2007cv05491/208337/32/

i'd be interested to know your opinion--i mean, what should we do!!!

martine